Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Preschool?!?!!!??

Is it possible I'm almost the mother of a preschooler? I'm not ready!

Well, it seems like now's the time to register for preschools around here, so I did a google search on preschools in my area. There was one that sounded nice, and was the closest, so I called her first. Their director sounded like a wonderful lady! Very knowledgeable and answered all my questions satisfactorily! Corey and I will be chatting about it, but I think this will be the one we go with!

The program is actually geared for 2.5 year olds (they're registering any kid with a 3rd bday before Dec 2009 for September). So that answered my question about whether a kid turning three just before the school year is developmentally ready for preschool. She said she has seen more trouble with kids who have seperation issues (i.e. get sad when left) than those who are mad you're leaving him and that he can't make you stay (which might be Cole's category, LOL!). When I told her that he happily says "BYE!" and slams a door in my face when I drop him at grandmas, she laughed and said he should do fine! She told me that they start out with short lived activities (such as reading time) and work up to longer ones...what a reasonable way to do things! I cannot concieve of Cole actually sitting for a structured 15 minute reading time at this point!

As far as potty training (a big worry of mine given his refusal to even entertain the idea) she says they're fine in pull ups, but they are not licensed to change diapers, so I have to go change him if necessary. We don't live far, and the only biggie will be potentially waking Parker from a nap to go do it.

As far as allergies, she says they are able to work with us (her son has a nut allergy), and that we would probably need to send his snack to be on the safe side (which I would absolutely want to do anyway). If he turns out to outgrow the egg/dairy, they don't give nuts so it might be moot.

It's two hours a day, two days a week. I have the choice of morning or afternoon, but the morning is filling up apparently. I'm actually thinking afternoon might be easier to get to (9am is darned early for us to get out the door for, LOL!). I'll think on it.

I can't believe I'm arranging preschool already! So sad yet so excited! I know that six months is a long time at this age, but I can't believe this little guy is almost ready!

3 comments:

  1. Oh tear! They are getting so big. I thought I'd be looking into preschool for September '10, but Ella turns 3 (did I just say that?!) in November... maybe I should start looking into it. I really don't have 2 clues about how it all works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya! It boggles my mind that we just celebrated Kailey's 3rd birthday. I too have looked into preschool. I think I have found the one I'd like her to attend. Tear. I too have very mixed feelings about this. What ever will Garrett and I do with no in home entertainment for four (total) hours out of the week? Course then again maybe Garrett will actually be able to catch a nap for the first time! Ahhhh, where does the time go?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just registered John Noah today!!
    Can you believe just how big our tiny Aug 06 babies are getting??

    ReplyDelete